The palm at the end of the mind, beyond the last thought, rises in the bronze distance. A gold feathered bird sings in the palm, without human meaning, without human feeling, a foreign song. You know then that it is not the reason that makes us happy or unhappy.
The bird sings. Its feathers shine. The palm stands on the edge of space. The wind moves slowly in the branches. The bird's fire-fangled feathers dangle down.

Thursday, July 6, 2023

Golden Hour

When sidelong hours reach deepinto the house, objects turnunbearably distinct and I thinkof girlhood, how the sinking golden lighthad to be seized, like the lastmouthful of soda in a warm can sharedwith my sister. Whether I wanted to or not,I climbed higher in the tree, higherthan I even liked, to watch the back doorwhere my mother would appearand call me in. For years nowa supper made by someone elseis all I want, but this late sunkeeps pressing in. The linen chairbeside the window looks moresalmon-hued and woven nowthan at noon. And the not-chairstretches long beside it. Shadowssharpen and themselves becomeobjects filling the room. A child wakesdown the hall. Light gathers on the facesof ranunculus in a mantle vase,browning and collapsingin their centers. I think I have beensad every afternoon of my life.Outside a child runs in the grass.Soon I will appear and call her to me.

--Jennifer Polson Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment