The palm at the end of the mind, beyond the last thought, rises in the bronze distance. A gold feathered bird sings in the palm, without human meaning, without human feeling, a foreign song. You know then that it is not the reason that makes us happy or unhappy.
The bird sings. Its feathers shine. The palm stands on the edge of space. The wind moves slowly in the branches. The bird's fire-fangled feathers dangle down.

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Grass, 1967

 When I open  the  door,  I smile  and wave to people who  only have  eyes  and  who  are  infinitely joyful.  I  see  my  children,but  only the backs  of their  heads.  When they turn around,  Idon’t recognize  them.  They  once  had mouths  but  now  onlyhave  eyes.  I  want  to  leave  the  room  but   when  I do,  I  amoutside,  and everyone  else  is inside.  So next time, I open thedoor  and  stay  inside.  But  then  everyone  is  outside.  Agnessaid that  solitude  and  freedom  are the same.  My solitude is like the  grass.  I  become  so  aware of its  presence  that it  toobegins to feel like an  audience.  Sometimes  my solitude  grabsmy  phone  and  takes a  selfie,  posts  it  somewhere  for othersto   see   and    like.    Sometimes    people    comment   on   howbeautiful  my  solitude is  and  sometimes  my  solitude  replieswith  a  heart.  It  begins  to   follow  the  accounts  of  solitudesthat  are half its  age.  What if my solitude is  depressed?  Whatif even my solitude doesn’t want to be alone? 

--Victoria Chang

No comments:

Post a Comment